As your family settles into the back-to-school routine and those mornings turn chilly, thoughts slowly turn to pumpkin spice everything, football games, fallen leaves and keeping warm. But you shouldn't take for granted staying warm while keeping your energy bills reasonable. So that means it's a perfect time to perform some preventative maintenance on your HVAC systeml you can get ready for the winter while dealing with the fluctuating temperatures of the fall.
There are some DIY tasks that homeowners can take on before even calling McCoy’s Heating & Air. Make sure you’re taking these simple steps this fall:
1. Replace your filters: Filters are vital for airflow and efficiency, so make sure you change yours according to the package directions. Most filters last from one to three months before getting choked with dust and debris. If anyone in your family suffers from allergies or asthma, dirty air filters can worsen the air quality and exacerbate the symptoms. Replacing your filter removes much of the dust and pollen particles and ensures that your air quality stays healthy.
2. Pay attention to your thermostat: If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, you should get one. We have over ___ different thermostat to make sure there is a right thermostat for every home. With a programmable thermostat, you can set the temperature colder during the night when you’re asleep and during the day if everyone’s away at work and school. Make sure that your thermostat is set for maximum efficiency, especially for periods when no one will be home.
3. Check around outdoorunits: If you have any exterior units, make sure the area around them is clear of grass, branches, leaves, and dirt.
4. Clear the vents: A simple vacuum cleaner can clear the summer dust and pollen from your vents.
5. Seal windows and doors: Check your weather stripping and caulking to make sure your home is draft-free.
6. Consider additional insulation: Attics and crawl spaces are notorious for reducing the energy-efficiency of older homes. Blowing in additional insulation can keep your house warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Once you’ve taken care of these basics, call McCoy’s Heating & Air for your fall tune-up. This routine maintenance not only keeps your system running more efficiently, it helps identify potential future problems, helping you to avoid costly emergency service. We’ll give your furnace and vents an in-depth inspection to keep you warm and comfortable through the winter. Plus you can now schedule your fall tune-up on our new app McCoy's HVAC!